16 January 2010

Another way to help...

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." ~Edward Everett Hale

What can you do to help the efforts in Haiti?

Aidan Donnelly Rowley at Ivy League Insecurities is an extremely interesting writer. She is about to release her first novel this spring. Not only is she gifted with words, but she has a big heart as well. Aidan will personally donate $2 for each and every comment that she receives between now and Monday, January 18th. All you need to do is write, "Help Haiti" in the comments. Go here to see how you can help.

My new blog-love, Danielle LaPorte of White Hot Truth...Because Self-Realization Rocks, mentioned that there is a movement called the Help Haiti Blog Challenge. Basically, the premise is that you offer something on your blog or website for sale and for a certain amount, and then you donate that amount to the charity of your choice. And then you also ask others to keep the chain going. i.e...Make your offer: I will donate ________ dollars to _________ on behalf of the next person who buys _________ from me. How simple is that? Click here to find out more.

If shopping is more your thing...then read on...

Indie Fixx is one of those wonderful places where all things handmade hang out. They are holding a rolling blog auction for wonderful handmade things to raise funds for the disaster relief in Haiti. Go here and see how you can help.

Etsy, my favorite place to lurk, has hundreds of sellers who are donating all or some of the sales to the relief efforts. You can find a great collection of them at Hearts for Haiti. All proceeds will be given to Doctors Without Borders. And also at Craft Hope.{Note: I plan to buy some of these things and give them away on my blog this spring.}

Just a reminder that my friend Deryn Mentock of Something Sublime is donating a piece of her jewelry to be auctioned. She has extended the deadline to bid until Monday, January 18th. If the bidding is too much for you, you can send her a donation for the established charitable organization Hope for Haiti and she has generously offered to match the donations with her own money.

I don't know yet what it will amount to, but for my part I have pledged that 100% of the profits from my jewelry sales at the Gallery Q Artist Cooperative in the month of January will be donated to Catholic Relief Services, the organization that my church supports and has sent teams of missionaries to work in Haiti in the past decade. I'll keep you posted on how that goes and if I decide to extend it or match it. It might be a little but it is something.

Thank you for doing whatever it is you can. And if you can do nothing else, please pray.


What are you doing to help? Do tell!

Check It Out::
Catholic Relief Services

Enjoy the day!

7 comments:

Sherry said...

What always touches my heart at times like this is how people will come together and do what they can, large or small. And sometimes it's those who have the least to give who give the most. Thank you for sharing so many possibilities. ♥

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all the links!

rosebud101 said...

Erin, thank you for all the links. The Catholic Charities appeal was at Mass today. It is a worthy cause. I am participating in the Craft Hope store. Thanks again for your help.

Cindy said...

Thank you, Erin for sharing all of these resources. I will be checkiing out the links to these generous groups.

mairedodd said...

good luck today, erin!! not that your work is up to their standard, but that they have to ability to appreciate what you are presenting...

Pretty Things said...

I love Deryn's work.

I also love coming to your blog to see what the new piece of jewelry will be in your header! It's always beautiful!

Jenners said...

Thanks for this post. I want to do SOMETHING but am trying to figure out where my money will be best used. This helped offer some great ideas.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin