04 March 2009

Blessed Bucks, Part Deux

"Not what we say about our blessings,
but how we use them,
is the true measure of our thanksgiving."
~ W.T. Purkiser


I have had the most wonderful response to my Blessed Bucks post.

It seems that my quest has inspired many of you to do the same in your own little sphere of influence. Some of you have indicated that you will do this with your children. Brilliant idea! I have personally told no one (but you, my loyal readers) that I have done this.

An update on some of the places that I have managed to place them thus far:
  • In the middle of a YMCA brochure found on a display at the local watering hole.
  • Tucked in a basket of handmade mittens at local business.
  • Rolled up and tucked into a potted mum plant in a florist shop.
  • Peeking out of the sugar packets at a chain restaurant.
  • Between the pages of an artist's paper pad at the University bookstore.
  • Wrapped around a styrofoam cup so that when the next cup is pulled it would fall out.
  • Snugged in between the Diet Cokes at a local convenience store.

When I leave them in unexpected places I try to imagine what it would feel like to find one.

At first I might just think that perhaps someone had dropped it.

Then I would do a double take because it wouldn't be possible given the location.

And then I would see the inscription.

I would smile and have a lilt in my step as I went about my day. And I might be more kind to those I meet.

And what if they started popping up all over the place and the local news media got wind of it and shared the story, how quickly that generosity could spread.

Imagine if we all did this. What an adventure daily living would be! You may never know when that next Blessed Buck will find you. And you may never know when you might affect someone else's life.

My heart is smiling at the thought.

"When I started counting my blessings,
my whole life turned around."
~ Willie Nelson

If you decide to join me in my little experiment, tell me about your experience spreading the Blessed Bucks around. I would love to hear where you left them, if you have told anyone you have done it, and what sort of reaction you may observe if you have seen someone find the Blessed Buck. Do tell!

Check It Out::http://www.peepresearch.org/index.html ~ just for fun!
(Be sure to check out the "Medical Miracles" link. Hilarious!)

5 comments:

Jenners said...

I'm so glad you did a follow-up on this and shared some of your creative hiding places! Wouldn't that be cool if this took off around the country?! It would be amazing ... and all because you went out to eat at a very cool restaurant!

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

I've wanted to do this since I read your first post. I hid my first Blessed Buck today at the local Dollar General store. I put it behind the first box in a row of fabric softener sheets so whoever takes the next box will find it. What fun! It made me feel good!

Proud Mom said...

Ever since I read your original post, I have been dreaming up scenarios and hiding places to start my own Blessed Bucks mission. And ironically when you suggested "wrapped around a cup so that when the next cup is pulled it would fall out" I had already put that on my list. Great minds think alike, eh!

Meanwhile I'll keep you posted on my blog on my BB operation once I out mine in motion.

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I sooooooooooo doing this! I usually drop blesed buck here and there, but with no writing on them ;)

I will tell (later) you a long story about a boy who found angels...

I have a ton to say, but we have workers here, and I was thinking about you so stopped to tell everyone i had to do something (which was visit you!!)

Does that ever happen to you? You get this idea - like someone pops into your head that you care about, and you have to call or contact them right away?

Well, youa re that person for me today ;)

xoxo, V

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! I love it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin