30 November 2008

It was there all the time...

"I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence, but it comes from within. It is there all the time."
~ Anna Freud


I have been challenging myself to a few moments of creativity each day in keeping with my favorite mug from PaperSource which says..."do something creative everyday." I have been having fun with several writing sites...like http://oneminutewriter.blogspot.com and http://whatcoulditmean-d.blogspot.com. But the one that has really got my creativity riled up is http://picturespoetryprose.blogspot.com/. And I was just honored with the "Exceptional Writer" award for my November 22nd post from the author of this blog, Laura Jayne. I have written about her blog before, but this truly was an unexpected thrill.

My poem was written in the five minute time frame (you would be surprised how much you can write and edit in that short amount of time!) and was inspired by the picture and prompt She was searching for...


it was there all the time

she gazed across the sea of green
to the place where she had come
where was she going?
what did she think she was doing?
there were no answers for her on this side
but what she didn't know was what she had been
seeking

was all around her
within her
she only needed to open
her heart
to see
go off the beaten path he said
go beyond your wildest dreams he said
what he didn't say was
that this would be the
hardest journey of her life
she would not have a map
she would not have a guide
she would be alone with only her wits and her
strength

what she didn't know was that
she loved this
she knew just where she was going
she didn't need anyone to tell her what to
do

she just did it
by her wits and her strength
and then she realized that the
true journey
was not on that path
nor across that bridge
but the journey was within
for all that she was seeking
it was there all the time

Honestly, I came up with this poem before finding this quote, but it is eerie how similar the sentiment is. Since these words tumbled right out of me they must have come straight from my soul. I told Laura Jayne that perhaps my soul was speaking and, since I have no one better to guide me, I might as well listen. So... what am I seeking? What path am I on? Where do I think I am going?

This journey that I am on started with a recognition of a need to create. To positively impact other people's lives. To make beautiful things. And I know that I am on that path and that I have the strength and wit to make it. Even if that means on my own. It is sometimes a difficult path, but I am amazed when I open my heart...so much good comes back to me. I have found some new cyber-friends and for that I am grateful. I am seeking a connectedness. I am encouraged that we can be linked by the act of writing across miles and continents and time zones. That is really what it is all about for me.

Even if I never sold another piece of jewelry, or if no one ever read this journal, I would continue on this journey because I have a compelling need to be a positive light in this world.

So that is where I am going, what I am seeking....what is that you seek?

Check It Out:: http://modish.typepad.com
{Do you like the possibility of winning free stuff? Especially free stuff that is hand made by wonderful indie artists? Then check it out above and at http://www.modishblog.com/modish/2008/11/the-november--1.html. Hurry! Time is running out on this great giveaway. And while you are at it, you should read some of the awesome articles and check out the incredible artists featured there!}
Enjoy the day!

4 comments:

Charmaine said...

Hi there,

Beautiful poem!

I clicked on the the link you provided for picturespoetryandprose but it did not work????

Blogspot said that the site does not exist???

Sacha van Straten said...

Hi,

What a beautiful and moving poem. A worthy winner. It feels great getting the accolade, doesn't it, although that's not the reason we write?

I stumbled across One Minute Writer and then Laura Jayne's site a couple of weeks ago. They've been a welcome and speedy release from the day job of teaching teenagers in England how to be creative.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your work. You choose your quotations wisely and I will look forward to reading more of your thoughts in the future.

Thanks for adding my blog to your reading list, by the way.

Take care,

Sacha

Scriptor Senex said...

Enjoyed your posting - thanks,
the link doesn't have an 'and' in it -

http://picturespoetryprose.blogspot.com/

carin.c said...

I found your site through Leah's post on Creative Everyday. I'm enjoyig it very much, especially your poems and the interesting links you provide. I know I'll be back. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin